Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien


image
Number of Pages: 306
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Date of Original Publication: 1937
ISBN #: 0-345-33968-1
Hey peeps. Finished another book for class. This one I have read and previously reviewed but I will review it of course again. This is the Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien. A now prelude the the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 
This novel is about a Hobbit named Bilbo Baggins who is confronted one morning by a wizard named Gandalf who wants him to join an adventure with him. As hobbits do not like adventures he naturally refused yet the next day twelve dwarfs along with Gandalf show up at his door and convince him to come with them.
There are many conflicts on the way of this journey but they’re main goal is to get across the land to a mountain which had once belonged to the dwarfs yet was overruled by a dragon many years before hand. The dwarfs struggle with their journey and Bilbo changes along the way. Finding a ring that can turn him invisible and becoming a leader in which no one thought he could be. Gandalf had faith in the hobbit where as the dwarfs did not. Gandalf is only present in some of the adventures.
I enjoyed this novel very much. I thought it was entertaining and well written. It had it’s funny moments and it generally keeps a good story line. The only thing I didn’t really care for much were the characters personalities. The twelve dwarfs seemed useless half the time, Bilbo complained a lot, Thorin Oakenshield was supposedly the leader of the company of dwarfs but was always lagging behind and then the wizard was always leaving to do his own business. Small frustrations that I just didn’t think made any of them heroic. I wont give any spoilers but my three favorite characters die at the end…sad day. But it was still a good novel and I would recommend reading it.
I would give this novel 5 out 5 for good plot development and writing techniques. I have not decided yet if I want to read the entire L.OT.R trilogy but I will maybe in the future and get reviews up.
For those of you who followed all of my Midnight Breed Series reviews: Book 11 Edge of Dawn comes out on Tuesday and I should have the review up Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. (Yes I am thrilled to read this and I may pull an all nighter.) *This series I mainly reviewed on my Tumblr.
I will try and get my next book review up as soon as possible. Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions, comments, or concerns for me, let me know, or just simply want to talk to me. I will do book requests. You can send me a message to me on here or E-Mail me at: TeamBellisle@yahoo.com
I check my yahoo account more often then Blogger however.
~TJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment