Saturday, February 16, 2013

Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll


image
Number of Pages: 272
Publisher: Barnes & Noble books
Date of Original Publication: 1865 (book 1) 1871 (Book 2)
ISBN #: 978-1-59308-015-0 + 1-59308-015-8
Hello everyone. Back again. :) Finished reading Lewis Carroll’s “Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland” and the sequel “Through The Looking-Glass”. I had to read these for my sci fi and fantasy lit class…so here’s my review!
The novel was a very quick read and involved many pictures. We all like picture books right? Well unfortunately I disliked these two novels. The main premise of the story is a 7 year old girl named Alice who has an over active imagination and ends up dreaming of two quests that she has to finish. The first one being to find out who she is (she’s seven) and the second being that she wants to be a queen.
Lewis describes these novels as being written as children books but there’s no way children would even be able to comprehend half of the puns, the jokes, or the themes involved in the novel. Overall it’s just a strange novel, the characters are mainly personified objects and talking animals. 
I found Alice’s character to be most obnoxious. She cries nearly every other page and is constantly expecting everything to be proper for her when shes in a world of insanity. Her logic doesn’t fit into the illogical world that Carroll portrays, therefore she is constantly frustrated.
A few of the characters seem to help the story become more enjoyable such as the hookah smoking caterpillar and the Cheshire cat that disappears. The mad hatter also helps bring some entertainment in this novel as he’s completely bonkers. But personally I wouldn’t really recommend these two.
I’d rate this a 2 out of 5. It’s just hard for me to explain my review of these two books. It’s too weird to review.
My next review (most likely) will be of The Hobbit…so hopefully you’ll appreciate that one more. I’m going to go crawl back into bed now.
I will try and get my next book review up as soon as possible. Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions, comments, or concerns for me, let me know, or just simply want to talk to me. I will do book requests. You can send me a message to me on here or E-Mail me at: TeamBellisle@yahoo.com
I check my yahoo account more often then Blogger however.
~TJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment