Saturday, January 24, 2015

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Number of Pages: 422
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Date of Original Publication: 1999
ISBN #: 978-0-06-087806-1
Hello Everyone Happy 2015! As much as I wanted to start this year off with a good bang it was quite the opposite! But I have a new years resolution and I’m sticking to it. I have a reading routine that I want to follow and hopefully crank out some more book reviews! Now I know I have been mainly reviewing vampire/paranormal fiction novels the past year or so but I wanted to switch it up a bit here and there. Today, I’ll be reviewing Jodi Picoult’s novel “Keeping Faith”. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors and her stories are always so different from one another they always hold my interest.
Keeping Faith is a realistic fiction novel in which I have had on my favorite book list for about seven years now. I forgot why it was on my favorites list so I decided to reread it. It is badly worn and torn from how many times I read it when I was younger. 
The novel revolves around a seven year old girl by the name of Faith. Faith comes from a non religious family and has never studied any religions yet after her parents divorce she starts reciting bible quotes and saying she has a new friend in which she calls her guard. Psychiatrists believe that her development of an imaginary friend is normal as the divorce process is emotionally hard on children. It isn’t until later that Faith identifies her friend as God.
As allegations start unfurling around Faith being a messiah/prophet, strange medical miracles start happening in Faith’s presence and reporters now flock her home while her parents fight for her in a custody battle. But those aren’t the only two fighting. A Jewish Rabbi and the Catholic church come together to argue their sides of what Faith may be seeing. As Faith’s mother considers her and Faith to be Jewish, Faith starts going through stigmata, in which the Catholics argue is impossible in the Jewish faith.
I love this novel because not only is it a family survival story but it is also a story that brings three different religions together. The Catholic priests, the Jewish Rabbi, and the Atheist television reporter that Faith’s mother falls in love with by the end of the novel, all come together to argue their sides on religion and ultimately scope what the seven year old girl may be experiencing.
As an Atheist myself I can definitely say that this is an interesting read for believers and non believers. However, I found three spelling mistakes in addition to the four other mistakes I found and crossed over the years. The editing job was not good on it. Maybe in newer editions they fixed the grammar and the typos but not in the original version that I have!
★★★★★ 5 out of 5. And I’d definitely recommend it!
**I did read novella 12.5 of Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series however it is too short for me to do a full review on therefore I will combine it with book 13 when it releases this summer, so sorry for those who have followed my reviews on that particular series**
I will try and get my next book review up as soon as possible. Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions, comments, or concerns for me, let me know, or just simply want to talk to me. I will do book requests. You can send me a message to me on here or E-Mail me at: TeamBellisle@yahoo.com
I check my yahoo account more often then Tumblr however.
~*~ TJ ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment